My January 1, 2017 involved a sort of holistic program of both yoga and Reiki. I loved it in the moment, it felt great on multiple levels…but then I had a bit of a stormy weekend afterwards, anyway (emotionally-speaking), and not always for reasons I could pinpoint, which felt sort of baffling and unsettling. Why would I be angry or sad (or both at the same time) for no apparent reason, and especially after I just spent half a day engaging in a terrific healing session…???
But then here’s what I decided was going on:
- Just as humans can accumulate plaque on their teeth and in their arteries, we can also collect up the psychic equivalent of gunk…and this psychic gunk can be just as detrimental to our well-being as the physical kinds, but it can be controlled maybe even better, with good self-care.
- But self-care, in any of its many forms, (including both Reiki and yoga, as it happens) can, as a part of its process, knock loose some of that collected psychic gunk and then release it into the ol’ psychic “bloodstream”…and until it then washes itself away, and out of the psyche-system entirely, it will be felt.
- And feeling it isn’t so super-pleasant for the person whose system had been playing unwitting host all this time to that particular helping of psychic gunk.
- Even this is good and healing overall, though, because with something that’s kind of insidious and creeping like plaque, the “better out than in” principle definitely applies…and better to feel some old and unsettling feels for a few days and then be done with them, than to let them fester beneath the psychic floorboards until they become truly horrific! But so the whole thing is a purging of sorts: not fun while you’re going through it, but purifying and a real way-paver for good healing.
- Healing modalities across the board (from exercise to energy-healing to psychotherapy) may not always make you feel instantly “better,” but this doesn’t mean that they’re not doing their work, and doing it well…
To sum up:
Happy New Year…